Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Best Pancakes I Have Ever Had, Anywhere, Ever

I have found I'm a bit of a picky pancake eater. I mean, I'll eat almost any pancake--and trust me, I've eaten some nasty ones 'cause I've been reluctant to waste the ingredients in my experiments. But I have finally landed upon THE PERFECT PANCAKE. It's not too fluffy--I like my pancakes soft but not overly-bready. It's not too thin--floppy pancakes=gross. It's sweet enough to eat with no syrup, but it's not so sweet you couldn't put some on if you wanted to. It's truly perfect. So, here we go!

Enough for 6 pancakes.

1/2 c. flour--I used 1/4 white and 1/4 almond meal
1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
1/3 c. whole milk ricotta
1/3 c. sour cream
1/8 c. honey
1 1/2 t. vanilla

1. Mix first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add the egg. Beat within the well without mixing in dry ingredients. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a spoon to combine--don't over mix.

2. In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter until sizzling. Pour batter into pan using a large serving spoon. Cook until browned, then flip and cook until browned on the other side. (Total cooking time for 1 pancake was about 4-5 minutes). You will know when they're ready to flip because, hey! you'll be able to flip them!

I dropped some fresh cranberries onto my pancakes after I'd poured a panful. They were delicious! Other add-ins that sound awesome to me:

blueberries, obviously
lemon
chopped strawberries
coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

Seriously, I didn't even put syrup on mine at all. They were just so good. My son did want some honey on his, and they were great that way too!

No comments: