Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Grammy Boone's Donuts

For your eating pleasure here is my grandmother's recipe for her wonderful donuts.  These are old-fashioned cake-type donuts, not the raised, glazed kind and trust me, they are mmmm-mmmm good!
You'll notice that the two recipes are slightly different, so you'll need to experiment to see which one works best for you.  I love that I have one from the local paper complete with photo and one she wrote out herself for my old recipe binder.  :)


I should put in a qualifier here that although Gram taught me to make these herself ("you can tell when the dough is right if it feels about like a young girl's breast" !!!Grammy!!!), I haven't made them in years.


I'd love to see comments from anyone who gives this recipe a try.  Get it Gram-Boone-right and you'll be in donut heaven!




























































6 comments:

Unknown said...

I see your recipes has bakewell, I've never heard of bakewell, what is bakewell?

Unknown said...

I see your recipes has bakewell, I've never heard of bakewell, what is bakewell?

Unknown said...

If you never got a response to your question. Bakewell is baking powder. Bakewell brand baking powder is still produced by King Arthur Flour Co.

Unknown said...

If you never got a response to your question. Bakewell is baking powder. Bakewell brand baking powder is still produced by King Arthur Flour Co.

ameymer said...

I have to tell you I got so excited when I saw this recipe! I have this recipe, passed down from my Mother, who always made them for us when we were growing up. She always called them "Hope Boone"s Donuts". I had to check with my older brother, who lived in Dover for quite a few years to find out how my mother{Lucille Rollins} knew your grandmother and apparently it was through the church. Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

Unknown said...

Was looking for a vintage recipe and ran across your posting!
My mom made donuts that I cannot replicate, all of her recipes were lost!
I am definitely going to try making these, I love to make donuts.

Looking for a vintage pudding recipe that my mom used to boil on top of the stove in a water bath, my sisters remember it as having apples in it and came out dark and like a pudding. They all have a different version. We live in Maine and did not have much growing up so this was a treat for us.

Would you have heard of this from any of your relatives?