Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Jessica's Bread Sticks

These are the best breadsticks I've ever had--and that's including all the restaurant types out there. They're garlicy, cheesy, and ooooooh so soft! I got the recipe from my neighbor who is the queen of tasty treats.

These make a lot, so for my family of 3 I half the recipe and make it in an 8-by-8 pan. This is the full recipe.

Jessica's Bread Sticks


2 c. warm water
1/4 c. oil (I actually use more like 1/8, or maybe somewhere in between)
1/2 T. salt
2 T. brown sugar (I sometimes leave this out, sometimes I don't. I can't really tell the difference)
1 T. yeast
4 c. flour (I do 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 white whole wheat)
1/2 c. butter, melted
garlic salt
Parmesan cheese

1. Mix the first 5 ingredients (water through yeast). Let stand about 10 minutes until fizzy. Add flour and mix in an electric mixer. Let the mixer also do the kneading. You may need to add a little bit more flour so the dough is soft, not sticky. Set aside and let rise 20 minutes.
2. Pour 1/2 the butter in a 9-by-13 inch casserole dish. Spread dough in the pan as best you can. Cut into desired size, pour remaining butter on top and sprinkle with garlic salt (NOT TOO MUCH!) and Parmesan. Let rise another 20 minutes (sometimes if I'm really hungry I just let it rise another 10 minutes and call it good).
3. Bake at 350 degrees F. about 20 minutes or golden brown and slightly crispy on top.

No comments: