Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Flourless Chocolate-Almond Butter Cookies

A few months ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Two things really, reeeeaally irk me about this:

a. I have pretty much no risk factors for this condition. In fact, everyone who knows about it--including my doctors--are very much surprised by it. So there I was going along, living my happy, mostly healthy life, and then BAM! Gestational diabetes. So lame.

And b. I love sweets. Seriously, love them. However (going back to that mostly healthy life thing), I've worked hard at keeping them to a minimum. We almost never have sweets during the week. During the weekends, I'll make a batch of cookies or something, but other than that, sweets are for special occasions or when we have plenty of people over to help eat them. You can imagine how hard this has been.

This kid better worship me.

That being said, my diabetes isn't very severe. I can have the occasional treat and it doesn't seem to spike my blood sugar too high. Which brings me to the recipe. I based it off of this recipe. By taking out the flour, most of the carbohydrates are gone. I've also lessened the sugar a little bit. I am so pleased with the outcome! It's one of the best low-carb cookie recipes I've made so far. And the best part? You don't need to substitute with anything like Splenda--bleh!

Flourless Chocolate-Almond Butter Cookies
1 c. almond butter (or you could use all-natural peanut butter, but make sure the oil is all stirred in)
1 1/2 T. dark cocoa powder
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg, whisked
pinch of salt
capful of vanilla extract
handful of chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together all ingredients except chocolate chips. The batter will be stiff. Toss in chocolate chips and stir.
3. Using a cookie scoop (or your hands to form into balls) place the cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Use a fork to press a criss-cross pattern into the top.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate. Bake 2 more minutes. Cookies should be firm in the middle. Let cool on pan for about 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack. 

No comments: