Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Chicken Curry

s
Growing up, my mum made foods from all over the world--foods I didn't know were "exotic" until I was in middle school and started sleeping over at friends houses and realizing they had never eaten them before, except maybe at restaurants. Curry is one of them. I've eaten it all my life as a little kid in a rural town in Maine and--lo, and behold--it's actually a Southeast-Asian dish! Who knew?

This is based off of my mum's chicken curry recipe that she got from some cookbook years ago (sorry, I don't recall the name). This recipe though has had some revisions. As good as Mum's curry is, I have now had the pleasure of being patron to many a Thai restaurant and I like to think I have improved upon the original by way of the taste-test-adjust method. I made this one a few nights ago and my husband and I agreed: it is the best curry I have ever made and is on par with curries at gourmet Thai restaurants. (DISCLAIMER: Notice I said gourmet? I am in no way claiming to be authentic. If you have a problem with that, then feel free to send me your authentic curry recipe and I'll try it out. Of course, you would be given due credit.)

Ingredients:
2 T. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 cube of bouillon
1/4 c. water
1/2-2 T curry powder (more or less according to your love of curry and spiciness)
1 1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cumin
1 can coconut milk
1 1/4 c. milk (I use whole, but you can really use whatever)
1 chicken breast, chopped/shredded and cooked (You could also use beef.)

Directions:
1. Sauté onion in butter over medium heat until soft.
2. Add bouillon and water and stir until dissolved. Add curry, cumin, and ginger. Stir until dissolved.
3. Add coconut milk and milk. Stir well. Taste and adjust as necessary.
4. Add chicken.

Serve over rice and top with bananas, tomatoes, pineapple, flaked coconut and soy sauce!

1 comment:

ML said...

You should be a food photographer! Beautiful! And I'm glad you sliced off some of the fat of this recipe--maybe I'll start making it again now!