Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

Honey Apple Pie

So my mum was visiting for a few weeks and stocked us up with fresh apples and awesome cider. A great way to move into a new house, if you ask me. She bought a bag of fancy Macs and utilitarian Macs. Well, why go through the trouble of buying utilitarian Macs if you're not planning to make a pie, right? So we got into the new house and decided, on our second day, to do just that. But I had neglected to pick up any sugar or brown sugar. All we had was some raw honey. So, we looked up the exchange and decided to kind of just wing it.

Woah.

This pie has a distinctive taste--it's definitely honey in there--and is not too sweet. We didn't have any cinnamon, so we made do with only a bit of nutmeg. The honey seemed to really bring that flavor out! It was great! Like I said, we made it with McIntosh apples, but we saw some people had made something similar with Granny Smiths which are very tart. (Although, they also had brown sugar in theirs, so that would sweeten it up quite a bit.)

I started out with this crust recipe--which is the only one I ever use. It's the best, quite frankly. And sorry, no pictures! I was too excited!

Ingredients:
6 to 8 medium McIntosh apples, peeled and sliced
1 c. raw honey (if it's not raw, it's more runny, so maybe do a bit less than a cup, but not much)
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 c. flour
butter

Directions:
1. Make crust. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except butter together. (I let mine sit while I roll out my pie crust so the flavors can blend a bit.)
3. Pour into pie shell. Dot with a few small tabs of butter. Top with top crust and cut some vents in the top. Cut and seal the edges.
4. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 to 50 more minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: