Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fried Oats and Applesauce

This little breakfast treat has come up twice in conversation in the past week or so, so I figured I'd put it up on here. Try as I might though, I could not get a decent picture of it--sorry guys! But that's not the important thing, right? On to main event!

Okay, before we actually get to that we do have to take a little detour. I grew up eating this and it was pretty much the only way I'd eat oatmeal. My whole family loved oatmeal the traditional mush style. I wanted to like it, really I did, but I tried it every way I'd ever heard of and none of them did it for me. Fried oats though is delicious. Now that I make it for myself, and especially with this pregnancy, I make it the healthy way. Both the sugared-up way and the sugar-free way are delicious. Basically to make sugar-free fried oats, leave out the sugar, brown sugar, and use unsweetened applesauce and whipped cream (those last two I do even if I'm not watching my sugar intake--I just don't buy sweetened applesauce).

Sugared-Up Fried Oats (aka: Papa Conner's Fried Oats)
For ONE serving:
1 to 2 T. butter
1/2 c. whole oats
2 T. sugar
2 T. brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/3 c. applesauce (I highly recommend making sure it's cold--the only warm applesauce that should ever exist is homemade applesauce your grammy just finished making)
whipped cream (I just put in a tad of vanilla)

1. In a pan over medium heat, melt butter. When butter is completely melted but not browned, add oats. Stir well to coat oats in butter. Allow to fry for about two minutes, stirring occasionally so all the oats are lightly toasted. Add sugars and spices. Stir to coat the oats.

2. Place applesauce in the bottom of your serving bowl. Pour the oats over the top and listen to it sizzle! Add a dollop (or a layer, if you're me) of whipped cream over the top. Eat and be delighted!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I looked and looked and looked all over the internet and could NOT find fried oats anywhere on the internet. Till finally I saw this picture in google images. I clicked and read, and got really excited when I read it was Papa Conner's fried oats. Then I realized I was looked at my sisters blog hahaha.