Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2007

GRAMMIE BOONE'S BLETHEN HOUSE MOLASSES COOKIES

My Grammie Boone always said that she was an "old-fashioned cook." She was the baker of choice for people all over my hometown. She baked for Collette's Restaurant and for the (lone) hotel, The Blethen House. She loved to bake and her family and friends loved to have her do it! These are the all-time cookie winners in my house--they taste like home. We nearly always double this recipe...

Grammie Boone's Blethen House Molasses Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cassia (cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
Mix all ingredients well. Roll into balls and dip the tops in granulated sugar. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until tops are cracked.

2 comments:

M said...

Wow! I've been making these cookies for the better part of 20+ years! Always a big hit. My recipe for Blethen House cookies comes from my high school boyfriend-- I used to even have the old recipe card in his handwriting. Both the card and the boyfriend are long gone, but the cookies will be part of my slim cooking repetoire forever!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lou
loueyville.blogspot.com

Lee said...

WOW! I was looking online for a Blethen House cookie recipe (An old family favorite, as my grandmother also worked there way back when), and came across your blog!

Glad we're not the only ones out there still enjoying this recipe!